[fdo-users] postgis and performance

alucas alucas at srtec.com
Fri Jul 25 11:09:39 EDT 2008

Hello List,

I'm testing postgis to store some Gregraphic layers and publish this data to
the internet via Mapguide Enterprise 2009. I've performance problems to
publish some large volumes of vector data. For example, mapguide can't
preview (with Autodesk Mapguide Studio) one layer with 140.000 records. I
need to publish some layers with aprox 500.000 records

So, I need to manage large volume data sets with postgis and mapguide and
I've some questions:

- In the unit tests for the postgis provider, what are the volumes of data
tested?
- I've loaded the data into postgis via shp2pgsql. I don't know if the
default database created via shp2pgsql is the best for the postgis provider
performance. It's possible to improve the database performance for example
creating some gist indexes? If yes, how can I create the optimal index to
achieve the best performance in queries?

To summarize, I need some help for optimize my postgis datastore...

Some useful information about the system:

MGE 2009
Autodesk Mapguide Studio 2009
Postgis 8.2.9
Postgis 1.3.3
FDO provider for postgis: 3.3.0 (Downloaded from GeoMap web page)

Thanks in advance.