[fdo-users] Understanding Spatial Contexts

Carl Jokl carl.jokl at keynetix.com
Mon Jul 28 12:40:25 EDT 2008

I am hoping to gain a better inderstanding of what is involved with
programatically working with Spatial Contexts in FDO. It seems different FDO
sources have different requirements as regards what information they need in
order to create a new Spatial Context. One thing in particular I am trying
to find out about is the extent of a Spatial Context. This being a byte
array which can be created using the FGF geometry factory and converting any
geometry which implements IGeometry into bytes. The problem is I am not
really clear on what geometry is expected here. The spatial context of a map
within MapGuide is defined as and Envelope. Unfortunately an IEnvelope does
not implement IGeometry and so cannot be converted into bytes to use in a
spatial context extent. What type(s) of geometry is expected to be stored in
an extent? I have been reading some rather technical documents about what
Spatial Contexts are from the internet but that information has been too
abstract to really know what kind of valid geometry needs to go into the
extent. I have searched around on the documentation on the FDO site also and
have not found enough information about this. Perhaps experienced
cartographers would know a lot more about spatial contexts but I come from a
more generic development background and am learning what I can about them.