[fdo-users] SQL Server Spatial 2008 Provider (Beta 1) for FDO Open Source 3.2.3

Crispin at 1Spatial Crispin.Hoult at 1Spatial.com
Thu Mar 13 16:51:06 EDT 2008

... some comments on initial work on the provider...  overall I was pleased
how far I could progress with a 64-bit SQLServer 2008 Feb CTP on Win2008
64-bit from an XP client and FDO 3.3, however there are a few showstoppers
in my knowledge, the current Katmai version and possibly the FDO provider...

 Regards,

   Crispin

 1) I cannot use IInsert command on a "foreign" schema because there is an
exception thrown related to IsAbstractClass - this seems a bit harsh!

 2) I do not know what the parameters are to create a new ICreateDataStore.
I could "fudge" it by creating a nonspatial SQLServer datastore that has the
metadata tables etc etc.  Any help here?

 3) I could not create an autonumber column as all the datatypes e.g. Int_32
said they were not supported for IsAutoGenerated columns.

 4) When inserting into geometry columns I often came across the following
two errors thrown by SQLServer (the second limitation could be an issue -
can the provider generale WKT blobs instead of long geometry text?):

--> "RDBMS: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Connection is busy with
results for another hstmt "

--> "RDBMS: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Invalid string or buffer
length "

 5) When querying the data I got the following excpetion with a spatial
ISelect

Exception Raised: RDBMS: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The
STRelate function requires 2 argument(s).
   Source: OSGeo.FDO