[fdo-users] PostGIS Provider

Michael Toews mwtoews at sfu.ca
Thu Oct 23 11:14:15 EDT 2008

Yes!

See notes at http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FdoPostGISNotes

At my workplace, we've been using the provider with AutoCAD Map 3D 2008
with FDO 3.2 (working toward a production environment really soon), and
I've also tested PostGIS with MGOS 2.0.2/FDO 3.3. The Win32 DLLs are
from Bruno:
http://www.geomapgis.com/web/geomap-group/fdo/
and modify the providers.xml file as explained on the Wiki.

However, the provider is beta quality, having many limitations
(explained in wiki), for example:

   1. Use all lowercase for database name, schema (datastore), table and
      column names
   2. Use simple data types for all tables in a schema (no timestampz,
      text[] or custom types allowed). Character, integer, real, float,
      date, and timestamp data types appear to be OK.
   3. Views can be used, but cannot be edited (even if rules are written
      for it). They just need to appear in the public.spatial_columns
      table, and I think the intended primary key needs to be in the
      first column.

If you have a complicated database with "advanced" data types used in
your tables, you might want add another schema "fdo" for FDO
applications. This way, you can keep all the data types used in the
"fdo" schema tables to basic types, while the other tables in the
non-fdo schemas can use "advanced" data types.

Also, if you have "advanced" data types as columns in spatial tables,
you need to export this as a view in a different schema casting these
columns as text (or not showing them). If these spatial tables need to
be editable by FDO clients (i.e., CAD), then you need to emulate a view
using two tables in two schemas with trigger functions to synchronize
changes between the two tables (I have a template for this).

Good luck!
-Mike