[fdo-users] RE: ESRI File Geodatabases

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 12 19:20:20 EDT 2009

Steve Hinchee wrote:
> Brad
>
> I'm by no means an expert on this subject, but I have been reading this
> string for the past week or two. There is a difference between an ESRI File
> Geodatabase and an ESRI Personal Geodatabase. I believe the File Geodatabase
> was a new feature with their 9.3 software and I'm not sure what format it is
> in. The Personal Geodatabase is in MBD format and I believe OGR only
> supports the Personal Geodatabase right now.
>
> Like I said, I'm not an expert on this, but that is my understanding of
> things. Perhaps someone who knows more can shed more light on it than me,
> but I didn't want to see you keep beating your head against a brick wall.

Folks,

I also have not been following this topic too closely, but Steve is quite
right.  File Geodatabase is a new format from the ground up though the data
model is similar to that of personal geodatabases or SDE.

For those interested in prospects for support of file geodatabase in FDO,
I think it might be best to shelve the topic till after the ESRI Developer
Summit this year and then reconsider the issue as they is likely to be
a related announcement.

Best regards,