[fdo-users] MapInfo provider

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 10:11:26 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Something that's been brewing in the back of my mind is whether it is feasible to write an FDO provider for MapInfo.

Now the reason I say feasible is because:

a) The OGR provider already supports MapInfo files. I could be duplicating effort here, but then again this could be a SHP or PostGIS situation where OGR can support it, but there is already a specialized provider for it.

b) The only libraries I know of that can read/write MapInfo file are MITAB and OGR, but reading more about MITAB I find that its is based on the OGR library, so this is going back to point a)

We have a lot of potential clients (MapInfo users) here in Australia, where a dedicated MapInfo FDO provider could really sway them over. Having to work with the lowest common denominator behaviour of the OGR provider is kind of cumbersome though.

I guess my question is: Is it worth writing a MapInfo-only FDO provider when the OGR provider already exists that can adequately serve this purpose?

- Jackie