[fdo-users] MapInfo provider

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Thu Mar 26 05:55:33 EDT 2009

Frank Warmerdam skrev:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S
> <ks at geograf.dk> wrote:
>
>> That depends on what you want to accomplish.
>>
>> I find that speed is very good, even better than SDF when using TAB files.
>> All the data I have tested with renders fine, but date/time columns are not
>> supported.
>>

> Folks,
>
> I do believe that date/time support has been incorporated into MITAB and
> the OGR bindings in recent versions of OGR.  If not it might be worth
> filing a ticket on this.  Does the OGR FDO provider support date/time fields?
> They are a relatively recent addition to OGR.

I'm using GDAL 1.4, so date/time columns might work with a more recent
OGR/GDAL version.
>> But, the OGR only supports a geometry and a single logical expression.
>> It would be cool to have it support arbitrary FDO expressions.
>> If that is your target, I belive some of the other providers have much of
>> the logic for this,
>> and that it would be a better solution than a pure MI provider.
>>

> Is this an improvement that can be done right in the FDO OGR provider?

Yes, to simplify the development, the FDO OGR provider does not parse
full FDO statements, but
looks for a statement tree like: "<geom filter> AND <logical expr>" and
supports either side missing
or swapped, but nothing else.

I have wanted to build full support for FDO expressions, but have not
had the time or FDO knowledge to do so yet.
> Overall, I'd prefer to see the requirement for good mapinfo support drive
> improvements to the FDO OGR provider (and perhaps OGR/MITAB)
> rather than do something really custom.

I support that idea.

--
Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S