[fdo-users] Re: SDE FDO questions

BTenBroeck billtenbroeck at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 05:38:41 EDT 2010

Crispin, thanks for the info.

The one question I'm having a hard time find an answer to is what storage
type does this provider support? (SDO, ST_Geometry and Compressed binary).
Does it provide access to all of these, or (I'm guessing) only SDO?

Thanks,

Bill

All,

We have a lot of SDE environments to integrate with and have hit a couple of
issues with the SDE provider.  One that you have recognised about the number
of SDE processes and a second where the FDO cached connection can get
corrupted ("stream failed" messages in MapGuide logs) but is not dropped so
the broken cached connection is continued to be used.

Anyhow - that all led to the instigation of RFC 42:
http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FDORfc42

The naming is not ideal as this is not ESRI "Direct Connect" but instead the
capability to create a native Oracle connection to the SDE store and access
the geometry without going via the SDE server engine.  Use your normal
Oracle connection credentials to the Oracle data owner schema and put "SDE"
in the "SDE Schema" field of the connection parameters.