[fdo-users] Memory issue with FDO IInsert and workaround

Ray ray.wu at efacec.com
Mon Apr 9 16:13:36 EDT 2012

I am importing a very large data set from ArcGIS to Autocad MAP 3d using
FDO. However, I am hit by "out of memory" issue with FDO IInsert to insert
data to a feature class table that was created in FDO. In fact, there were
plenty of memory on my machine (more than 1-1.5G available out of 3.2 G in
32bit machine). According to one thread in this forum, the reason is memory
is fragmented. I don't understand why FDO could not allocate dynamically
linked memory.

Anyway, I am thinking a workaround solution that is to avoid IInsert but use
oracle ODP.net to insert data to the table.

The feature class was created with some default property like "CLASSID",
"REVISIONNUMBER" and unique "FEATID". My questions:
(1) Can I use ODP.net to insert values for those properties as well?
(2) Any FDO data should I update (for example sequence id related with
"FEATID" )?
(3) Any other complications?