[fdo-users] transaction using fdo-postgis provider

Brent Robinson brent.robinson at autodesk.com
Tue Jul 9 11:51:02 PDT 2013

Hi,

The PostGIS provider executes DDL statements on a different connection than it does for other statements, which would explain why an ApplySchema cannot be rolled back in an FDO Transaction.

I'm not exactly sure of the reason why but there might have been some situations where a connection gets blocked when a transaction including DDL statements stays open. It may have something to do with the data dictionary tables that a DDL statement updates. Currently, the provider does a commit before every DDL statement, with the following comment:

           // Commit all transactions before issuing a DDL statement; Otherwise the server may block if a transaction is open
            // and accessing a table that may be modified by the DDL statement.

A commit is done on both the DDL and non-DDL connection.

Brent.