[fdo-users] Slow FDO insert

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Mon May 6 03:02:06 PDT 2013

Try to minimize the amount of memory allocations needed.
 - Don't try to create a new insert command on every iteration. Try to
retain the insert command and its property value collection.
 - Also don't clear the property value collection on every iteration,
instead flip all the property values to null at the start of every iteration
and set the property values from the looping reader as appropriate.

This way you'll only require:
 - 1 allocation for the insert command
 - n allocations for each property value (where n is the number of
properties in the looping reader)

This is what I do for FDO Toolbox, and we get respectable bulk insert
performance out of most providers.

But like Hans said, some providers (SQL Server) are just plain slow for bulk
insertion of data and require temporarily turning off indexing and such.

- Jackie