[fdo-users] How to listen for a Postgresql LISTEN?

nav navin.pro at gmail.com
Thu May 23 23:17:06 PDT 2013

@zspitzer: The problem is that I'm not really sure how to make the c++ client
application listen for notifications. I can issue a listen command using
std::string ourQuery = "LISTEN abc";
FdoPtr<FdoISQLDataReader> objSqlDataReader;
...blah...
objSqlDataReader = objSql->ExecuteReader();

But how would I receive a response from LISTEN? Would I have to periodically
send ExecuteReader commands with a LISTEN query? Since LISTEN basically
creates an event in the database, if I periodically call LISTEN abc, will it
generate multiple events in the database or will it overwrite the previous
event?

Since FdoISQLDataReader is meant for handling data coming from a database
table column, how would I interpret the query returned from LISTEN (I'll be
trying out some code for this in a few minutes, but the question in the
above paragraph is troubling me)?