[fdo-users] FDO OGR 4.1 still has problems with Latin1/ISO-8859-1 when using MapInfo TAB

Hans Milling hm at geograf.dk
Fri Oct 7 00:05:06 PDT 2016

Back in 2012 I posted this question:
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/FDO-OGR-3-6-3-7-and-UTF-8-problem-td3898674.html
The OGR provider when reading MapInfo TAB files treat the data as if it was
UTF-8. However MapInfo never supported UTF-8 or unicode characters, and for
wester european countries it uses Latin1/ISO-8859-1/Windows1252.
This problems seems to persist in FDO OGR 4.1 used by MapGuide 3.1
>From MapInfo 15.2 and forward, MapInfo does support unicode characters, but
I have no checked if the FDO OGR provider can read the new format at all.
The solutions back then was for me to recompile the provider and forcing it
to use ISO-8859-1 and removing support for UTF-8/unicode from all the other
files as well.

The right thing would be for the provider to read the information from the
TAB file (written in clear text) what character set is used for the data in
the DAT file. Are there any plans to implement this, or do I need to create
a ticket to get it fixed?
Before C# took over, I wrote a lot of c++ code. I could update the code
myself and post a fix, but I have absolutely no clue where to start.

Best regards
  Hans Milling...