[fdo-dev] [Proposal] FGF<->WKB converters as common utils

Gavin Cramer gavin.cramer at autodesk.com
Tue Aug 8 17:36:51 EDT 2006

Ah, sorry about that.  I guess that I did not see Geometry.c and
Geometry.h as meriting collection into a common spot because they are so
small.  If it were just that, fdocore/trunk/Utilities/Common would
indeed be a good place for providers to use.  There is also the
GisSpatial package, though that's a DLL currently.  However, there is
more:

 - the MySQL RDBI driver is in fact compiled as C++;
   If there were no other factors, one could probably
   just call FdoGeometry directly

 - The MySQL driver's WkbFromGeometry() contains part of a
   workaround for a MySQL oddity:  the inclusion
   of a 4-byte SRID (unused) in the byte stream.
   The other part is in fix_geometries() in fetch.c.  So,
   just refactoring Geometry.c would not give the right results
   for other providers; more variations are required.  It is so
   little code that copying it is probably the better way.

BTW, I did some searching with Google on PostGIS and WKB, and found
various discussions of whether PostGIS is using OGC WKB or a variation.
Do you know the current status?

Gavin