[Featureserver] Service type does not support adding features

John Cartwright john.c.cartwright at comcast.net
Sun Oct 21 17:24:11 EDT 2007

Hello All,

I'm just trying out featureserver (v.1.10) for the first time and
attempting to follow the demo instructions on http://featureserver.org.

0) unpacked the distribution into the apache CGI directory

1) hit the URL http://localhost/cgi-bin/featureserver-1.10/
featureserver.cgi/scribble/all.gml
so far, so good

2) echo '{"id":1, "geometry":{"type":"Point", "coordinates":
[[0,5]]}}' | curl -d @- http://localhost/cgi-bin/featureserver-1.10/
featureserver.cgi/all.gml

"An error occurred: Service type does not support adding features."

confirmed that the featureserver.cfg has DBM as the type for scribble
and that the db file is present and has write permissions for all.

Can someone point out what I'm doing wrong here?  I've had the same
experience on both Mac OS X 10.4 and Red Hat Linux WS-5.

Thanks!

--john