[OSGeo Finance] Budget

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Tue Oct 14 07:20:15 EDT 2008

dear all, I'm playing catchup with older email. Apologies for my
absence of late (and from the F2F) - caused by a mixture of deadlines
and holidays.

Quoting Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>
>   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Budget_2009
>
> I realize I have several questions as I go through it:
>
> 3) I would like some details on Tyler's payment arrangements.
> In particular I wonder if his salary is fixed in Canadian dollars
> in which case I imagine the cost to OSGeo in US dollars has
> changed with current adjustments in the last couple years.  This
> will make a material difference.

I think it is a fixed amount in USD and therefore the recent rise in
the dollar (87 cents to the CAD today, parity this time last year) is
working in Tyler's favour.
I am not *certain* though.
Frank, Did you get copies of the contract documents from Dave or Ken?

> 4) Has there been any cost-of-living, etc adjustments to Tyler's
> salary since he started?  I vaguely recall some discussion on this
> a while ago but I don't recall if something came of it, or if it was
> deferred to the 2009 budgeting process.

There was a cost-of-living increase of 2.5% for 2008
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Finance_Meeting_2007.11.21
I remember we discussed the the fall in the dollar as a contributing factor
for an increase, but this isn't included in the minutes.

> 5) I wonder if we should be adjusting Tyler's travel budget based
> on actual expenses he has been having.

Does it make a difference if the money is not spent and stays in
OSGeo's coffers?

I have a currency question now. Our budget and our accounts are in USD.
How does the move to Canadian banking facilities affect this, does
OSGeo have a dollar account there?

cheers,

jo