[OSGeo Finance] Quickbooks, reserve funds...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 15 16:35:06 EDT 2008

Folks,

Today I received this report from the treasurer of SPI which
has some similar constraints to us in terms of holding funds
in trust for subprojects.  I'd like to do something similar
with a quickbooks "register" for equity associated with
particular projects.  Does anyone with more accounting savvy
than me see any particular problem in representing reserved
funds as a subclass of equity?

Also, Tyler and I are looking into creating a "finance comittee"
user for quickboooks so anyone on the finance committee can
dig into the live reports.

Balance Sheet as of October 14, 2008

    ASSETS
      Current Assets
         Key Business Reward Checking                      17,117.74
         Key Business Signature Money Market Savings       97,617.96
         Ameriprise Cash Mgmt Acct                         13,098.74

      Total Current Assets                                127,834.44

    TOTAL ASSETS                                          127,834.44

    LIABILITIES & EQUITY

      General and current liabilities                           0.00

      Equity
         Reserves held in trust
            Debian Earmark                    67,762.98
            Drupal Earmark                     2,650.00
            Freedesktop.org Earmark            2,027.68
            Gallery Earmark                    4,803.34
            GNOME Earmark                         20.00
            GNU TeXmacs Earmark                    9.70
            Madwifi.org Earmark                  922.03
            OpenOffice.org Earmark             1,180.52
            Open Voting Foundation Earmark       392.67
            Plan 9 Earmark                     6,500.00
            PostgreSQL Earmark                13,778.44

         Total held in trust                              100,047.36

         General reserves                                  27,787.08

      Total Equity                                        127,834.44

    TOTAL LIABILITIES & EQUITY                            127,834.44