[OSGeo Finance] Quickbooks, reserve funds...

Ken Tamura ken.tamura at autodesk.com
Thu Oct 16 00:45:21 EDT 2008

Hello all,
Here are my responses and suggestions:

It appears that the items in question are funds received by the organization and are 'ear-marked' for specific programs/initiatives.  The proper accounting treatment for funds of these types for a non-for-profit accounting generally are classified in the Balance Sheet cash account (this is how donations are recorded: debit cash; credit income).  The way to show that these funds are to be tracked and specified for certain activities, they are often tracked in a cash account classified as "restricted cash/fund".  This account tracks at various levels of detail as needed to manage and report.  All other general income/donations/etc. are classified as "general funds".

I think there are two choices to record and track "restricted" and "general" funds:

1.  Track at a detail level:  It would best to create a restricted cash account for each standard activity in the balance sheet.  Then you can track activity in/out of this account for reporting if needed.  All general funds are recorded to one general fund cash account.

2.  Track at a high level:  I would best to create one restricted cash account and as long as it is classified in the correct restricted account, the finance team knows how much they have to manage.  All general funds are recorded to one general fund cash account.

My recommendation is #1.

Ken Tamura
Geospatial Solutions of Autodesk, Inc.
415-507-8313 (w)    415-299-1704 (c)