[OSGeo Finance] Motion: Approve 2008Q3 Financial Statements

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Thu Oct 30 12:52:05 EDT 2008

+1 - fine for me.  Comments below....

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>wrote:

> Ken Tamura wrote:
>
>> This looks fine.  Vote: +1
>>
>> Future modifications that could be considered:  (1) Add to Balance Sheet
>> Cash a section called 'unrestricted' and 'restricted';
>>

> Ken,
>
> Currently the balance sheet does not have anything labelled "Cash".  Are
> you referring to the section listing Bank Accounts under ASSETS->Current
> Assets?

I was looking at creating (or moving) the "restricted income" account so
that it appears as "Other Current Assets->Restricted".  That should do it.
 I'm pretty sure we can do this adjustment by simply changing the "type" of
the restricted funds account and its place in the account list hierarchy.

I presume you are suggesting doing this instead of showing restricted
> project funds as a liability.  Is that right?

With the above approach, I think we can avoid this.

> (3) Provide an additional report that provide
>
>> YTD and/or other QTR for comparison.
>>

> I'm not sure what QTR means.

By QuarTeR...  You can easily customise the income/expense report to show
the four quarters of the year across the top.  I prefer it that way myself
as any single quarter on its own is less meaningful for me than the whole
year-to-date.

> One other concern is that it is not currently easy to relate our
> income and expenses to the budget since very different breakdowns are
> used.  I was considering manually preparing a wiki page at the end of the
> year reflecting our actual performance compared to our budget.  I'm not
> so keen on taking this on as a quarterly responsibility.

I think we should improve the budget as it stands in quickbooks, so we can
autogenerate these reports.  It can be tricky to get the right balance
between detail and summary, but it will make it so a quarterly update is not
unreasonable to generate.

Tyler