[OSGeo Finance] Budget

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Sep 29 08:31:50 EDT 2008

Frank,

My one suggestion is to work with your biggest sponsor to pin down a
committed amount for 2009 at the earliest possible date (preferably
before finalizing the budget with the board) since this can have one
of the bigger impacts on your overall budget for 2009. If I recall -
it was $20,000 less than what we understood at the board meeting -- so
this is an important element to get a commitment on, regardless of
what the actual amount ends up being.

Re. the $8,000 -- I believe this covered a number of items including
the payroll service (the largest item i believe?) + accounting / legal
expenses which you will need some of -- for instance when we start
filing our tax forms. So I doubt you'll be able to do away with this.

Tyler is paid in Canadian dollars -- so the budget amount fluctuates
according to the exchange rate. A cost of living adjustment was made
at start? of 2008. You can check in with the payroll company about
typical COL changes for 2008 as you look at making any adjustments for
2009.

Re. Tyler's travel expenses -- I'd take a look at it, but consider
that if you are planning more money to be spent in marketing -- that
probably means more events, and therefore more travel for Tyler. Also
this was probably a "low" travel year for Tyler due to personal reasons.

As always -- be prudent in budgetting -- always better to come in
under budget than over budget.

Dave