[OSGeo Finance] Draft 2008 Financials

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Mon May 25 18:32:30 EDT 2009

Hi Frank,
I didn't complete the changes I had hoped to last week.  These
address several of these issues below...

> 1) The "Contributions" expense item (14709.32) is really the
> portion of
> the FOSS4G 2008 profits that were provided to GISSA and the GISSA
> education fund.  I'm not sure why "Summer of Code" and "Promotion" got
> subcategories while this did not.

I'll move this into its own category.  I didn't expect this to be
recurring so making it into a subcategory didn't seem apparent at
first, but I will move this so it reports a bit better.

> 2) I'm not sure why the Geoconnextion payment went into "Services"
> while
> stuff like Google Summer of Code Mentorship payments went into
> "Unrestricted
> General".

When issuing an invoice you have to specify what kind of "service or
product" the charges on the invoice will go against.  These in turn
are tied to specific accounts.  In this case it was likely just the
different service/product types that moved them into different
accounts.  I can take a look at clearing this up too.

> 3) I see a $968.62 expense under professional fees which turns out
> to be
> a payment for FOSS4G 2009, presumably for Tyler.  Is there a reason
> this
> is not included in the "Event Fee" category under Travel and
> Entertainment?

For FOSS4G 2008 but not for me - this was for hosting the board
meeting - venue rental, catering services, support, networking, etc.
Putting it under Professional Fees --> Meetings seemed natural, but
we can move it if needed.

> 4) I was surprised to see $15510 for uncollectable debt.  I thought
> the new
> plan was not to treat withdrawn sponsorship invoices this way?  I
> generated
> this report on Friday.

Right, I didn't complete voiding the invoices yet.  Sorry for the
confusion.  I'm on it now...