[OSGeo Finance] Draft 2008 Financials

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue May 26 02:38:41 EDT 2009

Hi all,
I reworked many items on the reports today.  The following are my raw
notes in case you need to compare Frank's report to the summary I
have attached.  It should address all the issues, except for the
Balance Sheet ones for tracking project funds as liabilities.

After trying a few things re: liability tracking earlier I changed it
back to the way we've been tracking it, but in a clearer way.  Now
our restricted Project Funds will appear as a line item under Income,
instead of being buried under Donations.  I think in the future we
will want to give each restricted project it's own "bank/cash"
account in Quickbooks and move items in/through them.  Quickbooks is
not set up to do the type of "fund" tracking that we are trying to
do, so this is the best workaround I've read about.

But hopefully by having the Project Funds item in the Profit and Loss
report, it will not be needed in the Balance Sheet.  If we want it
there in the reports then we will have to adopt this other approach
sooner than later.