[OSGeo Finance] Reviving the Finance Committee

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed Sep 28 16:58:29 EDT 2011

On 11-09-28 12:12 PM, Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> I used the USD card as long as possible, but TD's options made it harder to connect it to the bank accounts.  The USD cards (and USD CHQ) were kind of like second class citizens and didn't have all the normal features.  Not horrible but I remember some irritation.  I suggest getting a CAD and then seeing what your volume is like, I can't imagine it will be huge.
>
> It was easier to use the USD card since the main account was USD and the version of Quickbooks online we use didn't support exchange between accounts (ridiculous, in my opinion) - so everything in the books was USD.
>
> However, PEO needed a CAD account for auto payroll withdrawals, so I opened that one up and connected a new card with it.  So now we've got USD and CAD in the books and I had to do journal entries to adjust totals at reconciliation time.
>
> If you're closing off payroll, you could save some headaches by ending the CAD CHQ too.  When we go to remove me as a signer, then we could make that change.  I never got CAD cheques and just did all expense payouts in USD, or otherwise sent bank drafts.
>
> Hope that makes some sense.

Makes sense... but after reading this, if the only reason why we had a
CAD account was for payroll and this goes away, then I'm wondering if
perhaps instead I should only get a USD credit card and come back to all
accounting being in USD starting in 2012. Since the foundation is US
based, that would make the most sense I guess...

I guess that also depends on what kind of limitations the USD accounts
and cards suffer from.

The numbers in quickbooks are still in USD by default today, right?

--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/