[FOSS-GPS] High accuracy positioning with low cost GPS devices:a FOSS project

Abdelrazak Younes younes.abdel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 03:50:29 EDT 2008

On 10/10/2008 09:29, Martin Vermeer wrote:

Hey Martin! I didn't know you were in the GNSS field! Glad to 'see you'
here :-)

> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 23:15:12 +0200
> Abdelrazak Younes<younes.abdel at gmail.com>  wrote:
>

>> On 09/10/2008 20:55, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does these projects have anything in common with the ESA SISNET project? See
>>> http://www.egnos-pro.esa.int/Publications/DSP%202001/DSP_2001_SISNET.pdf
>>>

>> No, Sisnet project was about diffusing EGNOS messages over the internet.
>> It was a show case project, I am not sure it is still on going.
>>
>> Abdel.
>>

> Actually the software is available (for Windows/Wince only, I'm
> afraid). It was done by my colleague Ruizhi Chen and collaborators at
> the Finnish Geodetic Institute. The service appears to be available.
>
> http://www.egnos-pro.esa.int/sisnet/uas.html

Well, yes the software is available but I am not sure the network
service will stay for long as its replacement is being developped as a
comercial service:
http://www.egnos-edas.com/

If you look for something similar and free (as in beer),  there is
Pegasus (which I have developped for back when I was working for
Eurocontrol):
http://www.ecacnav.com/content.asp?PageID=55
There is a hidden feature in there that allows the Convertor module to
send received SBAS message to a given socket and the GnssSolution module
to receive and apply them together with raw data. I am not sure this
feature is still presently working in current delivery.

> Actually we have here at TKK been playing around with GPStk, and trying
> (unluckily) to get funding for using an older chipset from Fastrax for
> getting our sticky fingers on the carrier phase. That could give
> centimetre precision!

I am working right now with the Ublox LE4T and I have bad news for you:
the carrier phase is in a pretty bad state compared to what you get with
higher end receivers from Novatel or Septentrio. I assume we will face
the same situation with many (all?) low-end receiver; so kinematic
positioning is a pretty utopic goal if you ask me ;-)

> http://www.gpstk.org/pub/Documentation/GPSTkPublications/vermeer-baseline-processing-ion-gnss-2006.pdf
>
> (using expensive geodetic receivers)
>
> We would certainly be "in the market" for cooperation on this.

This GPStk toolkit is interesting. Looks like they have done a lot of
what I am doing right now... Looks like lots of people are inventing the
same wheel at the same time :-)

Abdel.