[FOSS-GPS] Re: Opensatnav project requires help, especially from a coder (or 2).

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 17:20:00 EST 2009

http://roadmap.sourceforge.net/ - GPL.

> The other two I have looked at, and it doesn't seem like they are
> aimed at embedded devices, although look like promising projects.

They are, I am using both of them on my Neo FreeRunner. Navit
(http://www.navit-project.org/) is more complete navigation software
while TangoGPS is mostly just a map viewer (and a route tracer). Both
are ready to install on Openmoko distribution, see
http://www.opkg.org/package_5.html &
http://www.opkg.org/package_8.html. Navit would still need more
performance in map scrolling to be really usable on the FreeRunner,
but it does include quite proper navigation algorithm, easy-to-use
finger usable interface (well, still a few quirks to make better) and
should have also speech support (I haven't tried).

I would say that your best bet would be to join the Navit project and
enhance that. Of course, competition is good too, so feel free to
start a new one to show Navit what they should do better :)

-Timo