[FOSS-GPS] Re: Opensatnav project requires help, especially from a coder (or 2).

Chris Andrew cjhandrew at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 15:18:44 EST 2009

Timo,

Thanks for your response.  The problem seems to be that I have an
issue with the Android platform not having a truly open-source
product.  The proposed solution is aimed at the G1 to start with, and
because the code would be open, then it could be ported elsewhere.

Navit does look good, but as you say, there is always room for some
competition.  The end result being some good free code and happy users
and developers.

Thanks, again.

Chris.

2009/2/14 Timo Jyrinki <timo.jyrinki at gmail.com>:
> 2009/2/14 Chris Andrew <cjhandrew at gmail.com>:
>> Thanks for your reply.  I wasn't aware of Roadmap.  Unfortunately, it
>> doesn't seem to mention which license it is published under.
>
> http://roadmap.sourceforge.net/ - GPL.
>
>> The other two I have looked at, and it doesn't seem like they are
>> aimed at embedded devices, although look like promising projects.
>
> They are, I am using both of them on my Neo FreeRunner. Navit
> (http://www.navit-project.org/) is more complete navigation software
> while TangoGPS is mostly just a map viewer (and a route tracer). Both
> are ready to install on Openmoko distribution, see
> http://www.opkg.org/package_5.html &
> http://www.opkg.org/package_8.html. Navit would still need more
> performance in map scrolling to be really usable on the FreeRunner,
> but it does include quite proper navigation algorithm, easy-to-use
> finger usable interface (well, still a few quirks to make better) and
> should have also speech support (I haven't tried).
>
> I would say that your best bet would be to join the Navit project and
> enhance that. Of course, competition is good too, so feel free to
> start a new one to show Navit what they should do better :)
>
> -Timo

Reasons why you may want to try GNU/Linux:

http://www.getgnulinux.org/