[FOSS-GPS] Participants wanted for Nokia's PUSH competition

John Morris john at coyotebush.net
Thu Sep 24 12:10:59 EDT 2009

Only permanent reference stations need to "auto power".  If you're setting
up a temporary reference station, then you could use the same hardware as
the rover.

OEM receivers usually have a serial port which can feed directly to a
bluetooth module. You'd have to set up power, probably using rechargeable
batteries with a super capacitor to keep things going while you change
batteries.  You'd also want to set up an external battery pack for the phone
so you can do a full day's session. Everything needs to be weatherproof, and
there are bonus points if it is playfully attractive.

So here's one hardware possibility:

    OEM receiver with TTL serial output  (AC12, LEA-5T, or ???)

    Bluetooth module (bluesmirf)

    Super capacitor to keep things going while batteries are replaced

    External antenna  (Trimble compact dome or ??)

5V Power pack, one for GPS and one for phone  (purchase if possible)

    Rechargable lithium batteries in accessible battery holder (18640?)

    voltage converter/regulator, etc

    Low battery indicator

Rethinking the major components:

.         The reference station would be tripod mounted, generate RTCM 3.1
and distribute data via NTRIP. It could function as either an NTRIP server
(sending data to an external caster) or it could function as a small NTRIP
caster.

.         The rover would be backpack mounted (a survey pole isn't needed
for 1/2 meter accuracy), and the N900 would do GIS acquisition as well as
positioning.

.         The GPS differencing software would simulate a GPS producing NMEA
messages on a pseudo-serial port. The software would generate successively
more accurate positions whenever the rover is standing still.

.         Most GIS acquisition software can accept NMEA messages. Hopefully
we could use something "off the shelf" like CyberTracker.

It isn't necessary to use RTCM 3.1 or NTRIP, but keeping to these standards
allows other reference stations or rovers to make use of the data.

  - John