[FOSS-GPS] XMPP `User Location' (geolocation) extension?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Wed Apr 21 00:36:52 EDT 2010

So, as it says on <http://www.foxtrotgps.org/roadmap.html>, one of the
things on the to-do list for foxtrotGPS is:

    Replace the proprietary `friends' and IM subsystems with open,
    standards-based systems.

        The location-sharing and messaging features inherited from
        tangoGPS rely on a proprietary web-service: to the best of our
        knowledge, the code that drives the service has never been
        publicly released and there is no public specification for the
        service interface. Theoretically, underspecification and
        exclusivity of service-ownership and -operation could also
        raise concerns regarding privacy, security, and reliability.

Just off the top of my head, I'd figure that XMPP sounded like a good
candidate..., and then--just now--I came across this:

    http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0080.html

    This specification defines an XMPP protocol extension for
    communicating information about the current geographical or
    physical location of an entity.

I haven't yet finished reading through this and the other related XEP
documents (0060 "Publish-Subscribe", 0163 "Personal Event Protocol"),
but I figured I might as well ask:

Does anyone here have any experience with these (currently all `draft'
status) XMPP extensions?