[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS GUI customizations

James Hiebert james at hiebert.name
Mon Dec 13 15:56:34 EST 2010

Brian,

I'm not sure how helpful this will be, because it's just my "educated guess"
(or maybe just a 'guess').  But I would posit that all of foxtrotgps's
screen layout is done through libglade.

I use foxtrotgps on the Freerunner (Debian), and on my Gentoo and Ubuntu
desktops.  The desktop versions have slightly different layouts than the FR
version (control buttons such as zoom in/out, info, show up on the side
panel rather than the top, and the config window splits the screen, rather
than taking over the screen like it does on my FR).  I would guess that
that's either because libglade is doing layout on the fly, or because the
package maintainer for debian's armel version of foxtrotgps has patched the
glade config (data/foxtrotgps.glade in the source tree).  It'd probably be a
good idea to check in with him and find out.

If you find out for sure, please report back to the list.  This has been a
mystery that I've been wondering about myself (and haven't had the time to
dig into it).

~James

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 10:13:19AM -0800, Brian Wilson wrote:
> I am putting foxtrotgps onto a car computer with a 7" 800x480 screen.
> The computer runs Debian + Matchbox on a Via C7 Mini-ITX board.
> FoxtrotGPS runs fine on it already but I want to be able to tune it
> for the small screen.
>
> I can see that there is an openmoko version done for its very small screen.
>
> How is the variant managed for Openmoko? I have a vague idea that
> there is support for this in GTK+ but I have not dug into it yet.
>
> Is there an external file that is part of the Openmoko project that
> defines the small screen layout?
>
> I also notice my Debian/Matchbox computer has flat boring buttons and
> my Ubuntu machine gets fancy shaded ones. I assume that's done by
> Matchbox and Gnome respectively.
>
> Brian H Wilson
> Corvallis Oregon

James Hiebert
Lead, Computational Support
Pacific Climate Impacts Consortium
http://www.pacificclimate.org
C178 Segdewick Building, University of Victoria
PO Box 1700 Sta CSC, Victoria, BC V8V 2Y2
E-mail: hiebert at uvic.ca
Tel: (250) 472-4521
Fax: (250) 472-4830