[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS GUI customizations

Brian Wilson brian at wildsong.biz
Tue Dec 14 02:05:18 EST 2010

There's a `foxtrotgps.glade' file that defines the whole GUI; if you open it

> with Glade, you'll see that there are two toolbars defined--a vertical one
> and a horizontal one;

Ah, that's clever, thanks for clarifying. Of course there is a better way.
:-) If I figure it out I will share. (Or if not better then different --
like Windows 7)

> It should be usable in either orientation down to at least 800x480, though
> and even smaller; unless, maybe, your GTK+ theme is using very large icons?

800x480 is a lot of pixels for a 7" screen, so aerial photos look great but
the icons on the left are on the small side for human fingers, but usable.
The buttons on the right sidebar are big but all text is small, especially
if your eyes are 53 years old.

The status bar? It's uselessly small to me, I'd need a Brazil screen
magnifier.
( In case you have no idea what that means--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNnRBksvOU )

I am addressing the exact same issues at the day job,
http://incidentview.com/ because netbooks are getting pretty popular with
fire departments. Alas they all want to use Windows at the moment.

I have been thinking of trying portrait mode. It might work better when it's
actually in the car due to space limitations on the dashboard. My wife does
not want me to remove the stock stereo for some reason... she probably has
some unreasonable expectation that my computer won't replace 100% of the
stereo's functions... :-)

Brian