[FOSS-GPS] Question of reference satellite selection

John Morris john at coyotebush.net
Mon Mar 15 14:01:34 EDT 2010

For long measurements, you will want to shift from one reference satellite
to another.

As an analogy, double differencing is similar to a surveyor comparing
altitudes between a set of hills.  You don't know the absolute altitudes,
but you can figure out how high each hill is relative to the others. To get
the job done, you pick one hill as your benchmark and define the variables
       Hill(1)-Hill(benchmark) = x1
       Hill(2)-Hill(benchmark) = x2
        Hill(benchmark)-Hill(benchmark) = xbenchmark = 0
Based on your survey measurements you create a set of equations:    Ax = b
which solves for the relative altitudes.  (Since xbenchmark is zero,  you
don't include xbenchmark in the equations.)

Now, you decide you want to use a different hill as your benchmark.  You
need to redefine your variables and find an equivalent set of equations
based on the new benchmark. It takes some figuring out, but you end up with
a fairly simple procedure based on the following:
     xi' = Hill(i) - Hill(newbenchmark)
            =   [  Hill(i) - Hill(oldbenchmark) ] - [ Hill(new) -
Hill(oldbenchmark) ]
            =      xi - xnew

If you are more mathematically inclined than I am, you would see the new set
of equations as a linear transform of the old ones, and you would express it
as matrix multiplication.

A second problem you will encounter with long measurements is the repeated
gain and loss of satellites. One solution is to assign a separate ambiguity
variable to each period of time you track a satellite, but over time you
will create an unlimited number of variables.  To prevent unlimited growth,
you will need to "eliminate"  lost satellites from the equations.

  - John