[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS paint-optimize branch

Sander van Grieken sander at 3v8.net
Mon May 17 16:04:42 EDT 2010

On Friday 14 May 2010 14:04:34 John Stowers wrote:
> > - There seems to be no way to add/manage tile repositories programmatically.
>
> Partially correct. There is no way to remove tile repositories
> programatically but you are free to pass any string you wish as the
> repo-uri property (see python demo for example)

Hmm does this do something smart for the location of the tile-cache directory? If not,
then what cache-dir will it use if I feed it an arbitrary repo uri?

Right now it's quite tricky to integrate with foxtrotgps' repo management functionality,
since I have no access to all attributes of the repos.

> > - I assume I can register event handlers on click events? Will it associate click
events
> > with (groups of) images added to the widget?
>
> There are two approaches here. If you want to manage clicks totally
> yourself then just use the normal gtk+ click event API.

Yes that works. However I still receive button_press and button_release events when I
click on OSD elements (and thus always get the fine popup window all the time ;-).

> The next signifigant API break I make (which will probbably be when
> someone gives me enough reason) will be to clean up the track interface
> so that there is no distinction between the first track (i.e. the
> xxx_gps_xxx API) and a more general API for adding/removing/managing
> multiple tracks.

Yes that would be awesome. I could use it too for generic line drawing (for instance for
the distance functionality in foxtrotgps). Would be even better if there's a way the
specify color or drawing style, so multiple tracks can be better distinguished.

> > From playing around a bit with gpxview on maemo, there seem to be some glitches with
> > downloading tiles. Sometimes a whole zoom-level stays white, sometimes a scaled tile
> > doesn't get updated with the tile from the correct zoom level.
>
> I cant say I have observed such bugs, I will take your word (if gpxview
> is using a recent version and correct build etc). Unfortunately I don't
> have any maemo stuff to test with

Haven't seen this anymore with local builds.

grtz,
Sander