[FOSS-GPS] Re: Download-progress callbacks in osm-gps-map

John Stowers john.stowers.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 17 17:12:45 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 17:47 +0200, Sander van Grieken wrote:

> > > Looking it over, "tiles-queued" isn't even settable: but that makes
> > > sense--I don't know what it would even mean to set something like that.
> > >
> > > I believe you just need to include a call to g_object_notify() wherever
> > > you're doing something that may change the reported value.
> > >
> > > cf. attached patch.
> >
> > Thanks, applied
>
> For whoever is interested, I have put online my working branch where I'm integrating the
> OsmGpsMap widget here :
>
> http://www.outrightsolutions.nl/~sander/foxtrotgps/ogm-widget/
>
> Currently I have migrated GPS updates and the map popup menu, so it is runnable and gives
> an idea of how it'll become. The rest of the functionality is not yet in a working state,
> so expect no POIs, photos, friends etc.

Cool, sounds great!

> Some things I noticed :
>
> It seems the tiles-queued signal is only triggered when downloading tiles 'on-demand',
> i.e. when dragging the map around. There are no events triggered when doing an explicit
> map download.

OK, this sounds like a bug.

> Also I triggered a 'bug', where I had a huge bbox en a high zoom level (I accidently used
> the old global_zoom variable instead of the internal zoom variable) when starting a map
> download. It ate all my memory. This normally shouldn't happen, because the app will use a
> sane zoom level w.r.t. the bounding box, but maybe some sort of sanity check in OGM is a
> good idea.

Yeah, I have had this before, where it goes and calculates a million
tiles to download if you try and cache the whole world at all zoom
levels.

What do you think a sensible sanity check would be?

> Third issue is that old foxtrotgps also renders a 'bearing' arrow that points to the set
> waypoint, and a distance indicator. AFAICS this is not supported by OGM. Personally I
> don't care much about the waypoint functionality, but others might find it useful. What do
> you think?

I suspect this is something that should be handled by the Overlay/OSD
stuff, although I am not totally opposed to adding it to osm-gps-map, as
it already contains some GPS specific functionality.