[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS doesn't build with libgps older than 2.90 (was: foxtrotGPS compiling issues with Ubuntu 9.10)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Mon May 24 20:20:13 EDT 2010

Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors at iki.fi> writes:

> Aapo Rantalainen <aapo.rantalainen at gmail.com> writes:
> > http://www.foxtrotgps.org/build.html
> >
> > 1) on instructions: libglade2.0 might be libglade2-dev
> > 2) libgps-dev is needed but not in list
>
> Thanks for reporting these!  These two are indeed missing from the
> build page. I pinged rozzin on IRC in the hope that he has write
> access to the web page. A bug tracking system would be nice so that
> this does not get forgotten... :-)

Oh, it's not even close to being forgotten--I've applied a fix :)

> > 2B) minimum version of libgps?
>
> At least libgps 2.94-2 has been tested to work.

I think >= 2.90 should work; at least, it doesn't look like the soname
has changed since before 2.90 was released.

I guess we should actually have a check in ./confgure that checks the
version of libgps and aborts if a sufficiently-high version is not
available....

> > With Ubuntu 9.10 (libgps 2.39-5) I got:
> > gps_functions.c: In function ‘cb_gpsd_data’:
> > gps_functions.c:720: error: ‘struct gps_data_t’ has no member named ‘dop’

There's a sufficient version of libgps-dev in Ubuntu as of 10.04 (Lucid);
in Debian, libgps-dev 2.94 is available in Squeeze (Debian's current
`testing' branch), and appears to install and work fine on Debian 5.0 (Lenny);
I don't know about Ubuntu, but I'd bet that one can install the libgps
packages from Lucid on Karmic--libgps is very light on dependencies.

Is it worthwhile trying to support both the new and old libgps APIs,
do you think?