[FOSS-GPS] Re: Integrating osm-gps-map into FoxtrotGPS

Sander van Grieken sander at 3v8.net
Fri May 28 07:23:23 EDT 2010

On Friday 28 May 2010 08:51:35 John Stowers wrote:
> While this sounds like something you guys need to agree on amongst
> yourselves, allow me to make a few observations, especially as they
> relate to osm-gps-map, because AFAICT some of the directions you guys
> have been working in have been a little orthogonal.
>
> This is of course based on the assumption that your goal is to make
> foxtrotGPS easier to maintain by removing the map drawing code, using
> osm-gps-map and delegating that work to me.
>
> Support for zoom decoupling does not exist in osm-gps-map-0.5/6.0, so
> if the goal of supporting multiple libgps versions is making it easy
> to package/build for all *currently released* distros then a
> foxtrotGPS that uses osm-gps-map will lack this feature initially.
> Note, when I say "not buildable on current distros" I mean "not
> buildable against the version of library xyz shipped on current
> distros".
>
> What are the options
>  * Release from Joshua branch. This can be packaged against current
> distros, difference to tangoGPS is the zoom decouple stuff, libgps
> compat, translations and bug fixes. The release following this will
> move to osm-gps-map 1.0.0 and so will not be buildable on current
> distros (but the zoom decoupling will need to be implemented in
> osm-gps-map first).
>  * Release/merge from Sander branch. This can be packaged against
> current distros, difference to tangoGPS is libgps, translations, bug
> fixes, and osm-gps-map. The release following this will move to
> osm-gps-map 1.0.0 and not be buildable on current distros (but will
> gain the zoom decoupling back once added to osm-gps-map).
>
> AFAICT this gives three options, and you can only have 2 for the first release!
>
>  osm-gps-map <---> buildable on current distros <---> zoom decoupling
>
> >From my experience, don't be too eager in restricting yourself to
> "must build on currently released distro versions of software". Things
> like PPAs solve this for users, and a developer who is not comfortable
> building against uninstalled libraries is not a useful developer
> anyway!
>
> Also, don't forget one motivation for this fork was because Marcus was
> unwilling to release his draconian grip on the project, accept new
> features from contributors, and interact with the larger community in
> a mature way. If foxtrotGPS can't be daring and open with its first
> release then I suggest that is all ready getting started on the wrong
> foot!

Ok I see your point. Maybe it's not so important to be compatible on an older osm-gps-map
release.

Since we are progressing so quickly, if we can hold off releasing for another week or two,
we might be able to have it all, and be sufficiently different from tangogps to really
stand apart.

It would also save time w.r.t. packaging, changelogs, etc.

grtz,
Sander