[FOSS-GPS] Questions about foxtrotgps

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Wed Oct 13 00:29:33 EDT 2010

James Hiebert <james at hiebert.name> writes:

> I think that the "map detail" option in the map context menu is broken.
> I clicked the "map detail->fewer/larger details" option at one point.
> However now the map is stuck there.  If I click the "map detail->
> more smaller details" option I get no change.  Is there some
> place that exposes this option elsewhere (maybe through gconf, on
> which I'm no expert)?

Yes, it's in gconf as /apps/foxtrotgps/global_detail_zoom, though
gconf is currently queried only at startup--so you can't induce changes
in a running instance of foxtrotgps by `sneaking in the back door'
and twiddling gconf parameters.

But my guess as to why you're not seeing the details shrink would be
that you don't have actually have the higher-detail tiles: if you zoom in
to level 10, for example, but have tiles only up to level 9, then it'll
`overzoom'--the idea being that a less-detailed or blurry section
on the map is better than an *empty* section.