[FOSS-GPS] Contributing to FoxtrotGPS

Brian Wilson brian at wildsong.biz
Mon Oct 18 17:56:15 EDT 2010

What is the procedure to submit FoxtrotGPS code changes?  In my day
job I am reluctantly a Windows / C# programmer and I need this both as
personal therapy and because I am convinced I can build a better
"nuvi" than Garmin can. Better for me anyway.

My biggest goal is to fix the spelling on "metric" :-) Is it really
spelled "metrical" someplace?

def met·ri·cal  adj.1. Of, relating to, or composed in poetic meter

After that is accomplished I want to add USNG support. I realize those
outside the US might not want US national grid support cluttering up
their config screens, so should it be a compile time or run time
option?

Hopefully USNG will be widely adopted over time in the US, it is a
much better system than the many variations of lat lon. Making it more
widely available is my way of promoting it. I have a colleague (call
him "Al") in emergency services who is testing TangoGPS. Al is already
lamenting the lack of USNG and I want to support him.

I just got some APRS gadgets and would like to work on the AVL service
(what they call "friends" in Tango).
BTW calling it "friends" might make for resistance to acceptance in
professional applications. Have to call them something else.
"Co-workers" or maybe "Entities". Heh. Anyway has anyone been working
on this?? (The feature itself that is, not changing its name :-) It's
mentioned on the Foxtrot roadmap page. (A "roadmap" -- how
appropriate!)

Cheers --

Brian