[FOSS-GPS] Tango/Foxtrot GPS - Plotting locations of multiple things

Ben McCarthy b.mccarthy at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue Apr 26 09:30:27 EDT 2011

Hi,

I am new to the list  and welcome any advice in this area.

I want to develop a mapping interface that can plot my own location plus the
location of others (where the location of others is transmitted directly
between one another, not via a central server).

To do this I searched around and came across TangoGPS, I changed the
interface a bit and added the new functionality I required (by adapting the
"Friends" functionality, cutting out the Curl code and replacing it with
some socket code). After doing this, I came across an email thread that lead
me to find out about the problems that lead to the creation of FoxtrotGPS.

I was looking around because I have hit a stumbling block. Whenever I update
the location of a different person it redraws the chosen icon in a new
location, but doesn't remove the existing icon from the previous location.
The icons representing the previous locations aren't removed unless the map
is physically dragged using a left mouse click. I need the new location of a
person to be updated and the previous location to be removed immediately as
soon as new coordinates are received via the respective socket. Using my
limited understanding of GTK+ I have not been able to achieve this after
trying for quite some time.

So this has lead me to look around, and at the same time I have come across
osm-gps-map too, which looks potentially very useful for what I want to do.
I dl'd the source, compiled and ran the example... I then tried integrating
some of the osm-gps-map functionality into my own application, but ran into
problems during compilation. I have however seen some other emails
suggesting FoxtrotGPS may already have integrated with osm-gps-map in some
way, is that correct?

...So before continuing it seemed like a good time to take stock. For what I
want to achieve, I'm trying to determine whether I am best:

1) Sticking with what I have and trying to solve the icon redrawing problem.

2) Trying to invest some more time into integrating osm-gps-map into what I
have.

3) Throwing out my interface changes and migrating to FoxtrotGPS (in which
case I'd need to learn about how to work with the XML UI).

I'd be really grateful if any of you guys could give me your opinion on any
of this.

Thanks,

Ben