[FOSS-GPS] FOSS service to track location?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu May 5 00:01:40 EDT 2011

"Risto H. Kurppa" <risto at kurppa.fi> writes:

> Hi there!
>
> Anyone know a open source software&service to use with phone (N900 in
> my case) that'd upload my GPS position to the web and then show my
> position on a map somewhere..?

I know you're looking for something ready-made, and this is just
an idea..., but: it seems like it shouldn't be hard to throw together
a jabber-bot to listen to XEP-0080 messages and produce GPX logs,
and then overlay those GPX tracks onto OSM using OpenLayers, e.g.:

   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Openlayers_Track_example

That would basically get you the ability to use any Jabber/XMPP client
supporting XEP-0080 (like Empathy?) to `upload your GPS position to the web'.

Given that there are command-line XMPP utilities avaiable,
it might even even be possible to write the `XEP-0080 to GPX'
jabber-bot as a simple shell script :)