[FOSS-GPS] RTKLib MIPS requirements?

Danny Miller dannym at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 12:28:46 PDT 2012

Raspberry Pi was developed by a nonprofit entity.  They don't make money
on them.  This already seemed to be a problem IMHO when the release date
got pushed and production went very slowly as they released units
basically one-by-one.  You don't usually see this sort of thing in
capitalist enterprises.  Apple might not have enough iPads for
"everyone" on their release date, but that's because they've convinced
10% of the US population that they must have one on Day 1 of the release
and they've bought up all the free mfg in China to make them.

While they made a lot of them, they're not guaranteed to make them
forever or update the tech (it's a maintenance issue).  The Raspberry Pi
Foundation is not only nonprofit, it's literally only 6 people.  When
one or two moves on or gets hit by a bus, it's plausible the project
will die.

It's also a problem that the Broadcom chip at the core of the Pi is NOT
for sale elsewhere.  It was a special, personal agreement between
Broadcom execs and RPF members.  There will be no competitors using the
Broadcom chip unless things change substantially.

However, this isn't actually a problem.  The RPI is merely the vanguard
of a new tech of cheap, powerful, single-board Linux computers.   The
"Broadcom" chip is actually an industry-standard ARM6K core, sold as
design IP to many OEMs.  Broadcom added the video core and memory around
the ARM instruction core and fabbed it.  Any mfg with the ARM6K (or
another ARM core up to the task) could do it even without the video
core, but might be interfacing through a low-resolution LCD protocol
hacked together, or through a terminal port (issuing and accepting ASCII
command lines through a data port such as UART, USB, ethernet, etc).

But that's beside the point, because the Raspberry Pi will soon be
matched by an equal or superior core running Linux.  There already ARE
ones specified.  BeagleBoard was an early one- and expensive, for what
it did, relatively speaking- but Moore's Law expansion applies to Single
Board Computers.  Next year they've got the open-source OUYA gaming
console planned for release at $99, which is a helluva LOT more power
than the RPI.

IMHO we can expect to see commercially profitable Linux SPCs of
comparable core power to the RPI, with supporting Linux distros, at
Mouser, Digikey, etc within a couple of years.  Note the console RTKLIB
sources are not machine-specific.  If the ports are hooked up, there's
an FPU or enough core to implement FP calcs with regular instructions,
and enough RAM, it should run.  Well you need a compiler for that core-
but right now all this stuff is one of the ARM cores and we have GCC
compilers for the ARM cores, and can expect a GCC for any core to come
out in the future.

Danny