[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS 1.1.0 released
Joshua Judson Rosen
rozzin at geekspace.com
Tue Feb 14 00:00:35 EST 2012
I'd like to announce that FoxtrotGPS 1.1.0 has been released,
and can now be downloaded from <http://www.foxtrotgps.org/>.
Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this release--
and keep the contributions coming :)
There have been a number of issues found and resolved in this release,
and there also various new additions:
* FoxtrotGPS's general support for translations has been expanded,
and some new translations have also been introduced:
- Serbian, thanks to Branko Majic
- Japanese, thanks to Yoshizumi Endo
* Tracks are now logged in GPX 1.1 format, extended with Garmin's
`TrackPointExtension v2' XML extensions. The track-conversion scripts
are still included, but expect them to be removed in a future
release in favour of standard third-party GPX tools.
* The Zephyr HxM heartrate-monitor support that Tobias Prousa wrote
for tangoGPS 0.99.4 has been incorporated as an optional feature--
built by default if BlueZ is detected.
* POI categories (and subcategories) are now included for geocaching,
thanks to Rick Richardson.
* The `Map Download' dialog now allows the user to determine
whether tiles that have already been cached should be
re-downloaded, thanks to Mikael Berthe.
* GConf schemas are now included. This means several things,
but the most notable change for end users is that many
of FoxtrotGPS's configurable parameters are now documented
and can be inspected with the standard GConf tools
even if they have not been set from within FoxtrotGPS.
* FoxtrotGPS now includes a Python script (poi2osm)
contributed by Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli for exporting POIs
to OpenStreetMap XML format, and another (osb2foxtrot)
contributed by Mitja Kleider for importing POIs from
* The default Google Satellite URL that FoxtrotGPS provides
for testing and demonstration has been updated to accomodate
Google's removal of older imagery from their database.
Note that existing users may have to edit their `Google Sat'
repository settings and manually change "v=53" in the URL
* The default OpenCycleMap URL has changed; some existing users
may need to edit ther `Opencyclemap' repository settings per
* A long-standing bug that could cause FoxtrotGPS to crash when
loading GPX tracks has been fixed.
* The friend-finder has been removed due to tangogps.org
no longer providing that service. We hope to revive
the friend-finder with a different back-end, at some point--
help is welcomed!
* A long-standing bug that made many items in the popup menu
appear inoperative for many desktop users has been fixed,
thanks to Branko Majic.
* FoxtrotGPS can now be built with Curl 7.21.8 and newer,
thanks to Martin Jansa.
* The `autocenter' and `fullscreen' buttons are now proper toggles,
making it readily apparent (from the visual state of the buttons)
whether FoxtrotGPS is in autocenter/fullscreen mode.
"Don't be afraid to ask (λf.((λx.xx) (λr.f(rr))))."
More information about the FOSS-GPS