[FOSS-GPS] FoxtrotGPS documentation

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Thu Nov 1 02:43:10 PDT 2012

 Folks, I have been using FoxtrotGPS going back to Tango. And now
Joshua has fixed something in a few days that has annoyed me for years
! So, its way past time I did something to help. I have not called
myself a programmer for maybe, 15 years so most unsafe there but I do
know about documentation !

Dr. Tilmann Bubeck [1] suggested ASCIIdoc
(http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/ [2]) might be a good tool (bug
#1035343). I have not used it but I have been in a project that
decided to use Docbook, the developers hated it and documentation more
or less froze and we all know that that meant ! But Tilman is right,
FoxtrotGPS is good enough to deserve better documentaion and any doc
solution needs to be one source, lots of output formats.

Coming as I do from a Systems Admin background, there is nothing worse
than a command line tool with no man page (maybe an info page is
worse!) but I don't see man pages useful for a GUI app. I reckon
FoxtrotGPS needs some HTML pages on the website and a nicely formated
PDF attached to the tarballs.

If it sounds like there is some interest in this approach, I am
willing to have a go at drafting up something in asciidoc so we can
have a play with it and see if it works for the FoxtrotGPS developers.
Thoughts ?

David

Links:
------