[FOSS-GPS] Rtklib Why do I require a base station

MichaelFerrero dav.mercenary at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 06:06:25 PDT 2014

Dear all,
I have 2 receivers. One is static(base station) and the other is
moving(rover). I have connected both the receivers to 1(one) computer. My
Antenna wire is long so I am have enough difference between the base station
and the rover (atleast 10m seperation) to have less errors.

Following are my settings. Both are serial but the port is different. When I
check on RTKNavi it gives me the following figure.
When started the satellites are colored so frequency range of them is ok.

<http://open-source-gps-related-discussion-and-support.1099874.n2.nabble.com/file/n7572960/onesdf.png>

I am trying to understand the base station option of the rtklib. When I have
these settings, does the rtklib automatically subtracts the errors and
outputs the values(with less errors compared to having only a rover). To put
it formally Why do I need a base station? Why cant I just have one receiver
which has a rover connected to it and I can just move the rover around and
get the output. Does it reduce the errors?

Or maybe I can do this. I can find the base station location(I dont know
how). Then I can put the base station receiver there which is static. This
way I would know the amount of error because I will subtract ERROR= (actual
base station value) - (myreceiver base station value). Then with my final
readings with moving rover receiver I can subtract the error and it will
give me the readings with lesser error.

I have the following questions:
1) The output I get on the rtknavi and rtkpost takes into accordance that I
have 2 serial connection. base station and rover and somehow the outputted
value is automatically the one with less error?
2) Can I not just do it with one receiver? Which is a rover?

Regards