[FOSS-GPS] Good antenna

Danny Miller dannym at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 10 23:26:08 PDT 2014

Really?  I thought helix antennae were poor choices because they accept
signals at low angles.  In fact the article makes a point of saying it
accepts low-angled signals.

 From satellites coming in at only 5 deg above the horizon, they're
prone to distortion from the atmosphere and ground obstacles.  Now the
software can just refuse to use those satellites because it knows the
angles from the ephemeris data.

But as I understand it, a lot of the multipath reflections- delayed
versions of the original signal bouncing off things- often comes in at a
low angle, so the antenna rejecting the low-angled reception will help.
These signals traveled a longer path and only distort the pseudorange.
Since this is a feature of the antenna, software can't just elect to
reject these signals- and it if could, it would.

Danny