[FOSS-GPS] Good antenna

beale beale at bealecorner.com
Tue Mar 11 07:03:52 PDT 2014

FWIW: I'm using a LEA-6T with a $6 ebay magnetic puck sitting on a 1m x 1m wire-mesh groundplane. This is on a mast about 1 m above my chimney and it has a pretty clear view down to the horizon in most directions.  I have experimented with different satellite mask angles in RTKLIB and 5 degrees gives me the solution with the lowest variability. Using the same antenna in the same place with only a 20 cm groundplane, I did better with a 15 degrees cutoff.

Using a 24-hour observation period and PPP-Static solution (just my single receiver; not using data from any other station) my ground track typically fits into a box 7 cm (E-W) x 3 cm (N-S) x 5 cm (U-D), and the day-to-day variation has been about 10 cm horizontally and 20 cm vertically over a few weeks now.  I have not been taking into account "solid tides" but at this level I probably should.  The scatter in the results does not look random between days; there seems to be a consistent rise in elevation during/after a rain so I'm wondering if I am seeing some local atmospheric effect, or actually a true elevation change due to groundwater (I don't think my 7 m chimney expands 20 cm after a rain).

-John B