[FOSS-GPS] RTKLib - Constant offset between UBlox NEO-M8T receivers

Simon Trény simon.treny at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 02:57:55 PDT 2015

Thanks a lot David for your detailed answer!

First, let me explain a bit more about my setup: the 3 rovers were aligned on the front of the car's roof, separated from each other by 45cm. Rover #1 was on the right side of the car, rover #2 was in the middle, and rover #3 was on the left side. Each rover were equipped with a magnetic GPS-GLONASS antenna (this model http://www.taoglas.com/images/product_images/original_images/AA.161.301111.pdf , the ones that comes with UBlox EVKs)

Like you, I've first suspected that the errors could be due to some kind of projection-error in the car's coordinates, but if I look at the trajectories on a 2D map, it seems to confirm the results I get: rover 1 and 2 are always correctly aligned (i.e. perpendicular to the trajectory), but rover 3 is ahead of the 2 other rovers in one half of the track and behind them in the other half (which led me to think the error came from an almost-constant offset in the Earth coordinates).

> I presume that during the ten loops, that RTKLIB was more of less in a fixed mode all the time?  Your line about removing the initial data concerns me that you are not fixed or understanding how to check for that.   Some folks come to rest on the test track close to a known point for a few minute to "rest and re-lock" between laps.   If these things check out, I suspect you are using low cost mag puck antenna and that every time you place it the effective phase center changes.   We have a circle track we do much the same runs with, and there one tactical grade type of antenna fails at one part of  the loop for such reason, so its not just a cost issue.  If we presume your Novatel choke ring ant is ideal (reasonable) what are you using for the three rovers - that normally where the compromising issues come in.

Actually, the positions I obtained were almost never fixed. I got <1% fixed positions on all the rovers and the fix mode never seemed to hold for long. All the other solutions were floating. I didn't think it mattered a lot as I'm not really interested in centimeter-level accuracy, +-20 centimeters is good enough for my needs. In other tests I made, floating results seem to be good enough to achieve this kind of accuracy but maybe I misunderstood the way it works. Is there any obvious reason why after a 15-minute run, I can't hold a fix for more than 3 seconds?

Thanks again for your help,
Simon