[FOSS-GPS] Configuring RTKGPS+ with SIRF format on Android 5

J.F. Seubers j.f.seubers at rug.nl
Tue Apr 28 06:10:32 PDT 2015

Dear all,

I am new to the FOSS-GPS list, so I hope I am using it the right way.
Also, experienced in IT and GIS, but a novice to technical GPS.
As an archaeologist I am experimenting with cheap but accurate
positioning and recently heard about RTKGPS for Android; getting
accurate (sub 10cm) positioning with an external GPS and your
smartphone/tablet.
I found one example of an experiment with the app on your list as well.

Now I bought an external GPS receiver BU-353-S4USB GPS with SiRF Star IV
GPS chipset, because I read that it can be reset to RAW L1 band data for
use with the app. Strangely enough the manual for doing this is in an
old e-bay post :
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/GPS-receiver-for-RTKLIB-Android-app-USB-SiRF-Star-IV-/300988568359.

So, I followed the steps and can get at least some GPS apps working with
the antenna on my Windows machine.

On the Android device however, a green light, but no data. I am not sure
even how to configure the app (info not provided on e-bay or anywhere
else so it seems). Also, tried the Windows version of RTKNavi, but it
doesn't roll with SIRF it seems?
Any advice or similar experiences? Should I have bought another antenna
after all?

--
Met vriendelijke groet / Kind Regards,

Jorn Seubers