[FOSS-GPS] Recommended receivers for precise fixed relative measurements

Danny Miller dannym at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 10 13:54:01 PDT 2015

Bullet-shaped, is that the helical?

What I saw as a problem was the helicals are designed to accept signal
from all directions.  This helps get a basic fix for consumer use, where
the cellphone may be physically left on its side or kept in any other
orientation.

However, for RTK, there are increased problems with multipath, a signal
reflected off something so the pseudorange distance seen is off by that
extra distance.  If there's a metal building 25ft behind you and the
satellite is in front, it gets a signal 50ft later than it should be
which blends in with the correct direct path.

An antenna ideally would be guaranteed to be oriented a particular way
and have barriers to physically obscure reception of anything but the
sky-facing direction, like a choke-ring antenna.  Most multipath
approaches the antenna from the side and a choke ring will attenuate
signals from the side so much that it is not seen on the output cable.
But if a choke ring antenna was on a cellphone, if it was held in a
different orientation 90 deg off, it would primarily receive the
multipath and attenuate out the direct-path signal.

Danny