[FOSS-GPS] Android Nougat and raw GNSS capability

Glenn glenn at thorpies.com
Mon Sep 19 02:30:43 PDT 2016

Hello

Android Nougat has now been released with its ability to utilize raw
GNSS data.The api for the GnssMeasurement class is at
https://developer.android.com/reference/android/location/GnssMeasurement.html

Details of the next Google phone, the Pixel that replaces the Nexus
moniker, will be announced on October 4 and the Pixel phones are
expected to be available on October 20.

One can but presume that the GNSS chips included in the Pixel phones
will allow raw output so that the GnssMeasurement class can be utilized.

One can also only presume that an app to utilize the GnssMeasurement
output will be included.We can but speculate what the capabilities of
the app will be, will it permit RTK streamed input? PPP streamed input?
satellite provided augmentation including SBAS, QZSS, Baidou, Galileo
and IRNSS?Will it flexible enough to automagically swap between RTK
“over the phone” mode and PPP “satellite augmentation” mode if the phone
data connection drops for some time?Alternately will it be smart enough
to swap in and out of Gyroscope utilization to keep position?Will it be
smart enough to retain and utilize the best information available if it
swaps between modes, such as in Australia hold & utilize the downloaded
Ionospheric correction for some time whilst utilizing the QZSS
augmentation information for satellite positions and clocks?

If anyone with an ear closer to the manufacturers/developers hears
anything I am sure we would all appreciate any titbits of info that can
be shared.

Thanks

Glenn Thorpe