[FOSS-GPS] Moving Base

Anton Strydom agstrydom at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 23:51:27 PST 2017

Good day all

I have been doing a lot of experimenting with the concept of a moving base.
I have built a number of BeagleBone Black and U-Blox LEA6T powered GPS
units.

I set them up as following: The Base antenna is at the rear of the vehicle
and the Rover antenna in the front of the vehicle, I then drive a set route
that includes passing under obstructions such as bridges, toll gates, high
voltage power lines and large overhead traffic signs.

A FIX Solution is obtained very quickly and is for the most of the journey
retained, passing under the mentioned obstructions the solution is reduced
to float as expected. A Single solution was only experienced once passing
slower than 60km/h under a double highway. The transition from Float to Fix
was in the region of 4 to 7 seconds while travelling at an average speed of
around a 100 km/h.

The trips were logged as base and rover.

The problem that I am experiencing is that when I replay the route the
solution degrades to Single

Has anybody tried this and have an answer?

Thank you

Regards

Anton